Single Touch Screen

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Hi

I have a single input touch screen on a Win7 machine.

I would love to enable single finger panning in IE and, especially, Media Center. I'm not fussed about getting any multi-touch gestures at all.

Will MTV do the trick? Will it be enough to install the driver and 'trick' Win7 into thinking a multi-touch screen exists?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM

It could work. Try it.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Ok I did, and here are the results:

I installed the driver ok. On the System properteries screen it changed from "single touch input available" to "touch input available with 255 touch points".

I opened 'pen and touch' properties and the extra tab is there for panning and also single finger panning is enabled. However, panning did not work in IE - attempting it only resulted in it trying to select text. I opened MC, and now it appears MC thinks multi-touch is available because it no longer shows the scroll arrows that come up without multi-touch. However I could not grab and pan.

So I continued with the regular MTV installation instructions and started the two consoles. I got 3 red dots - I assume one for my touch screen, one for my regular mouse and one for my MC remote. With the dots showing I could still not grab and pan, with either the touch screen or my regular mouse. I tried this with and without the multiple mice checkbox set in the config app.

Based on your help video, I was expecting that at least I would be able to pan with the regular mouse. I also thought it would be possible without running the multiple input service consoles. Maybe the driver is not working quite right on my system. I have an AMD64 system but it's running 32-bit windows, so I have the 32-bit MTV driver installed. Could this be a reason why?

Any ideas? I know this is not the intention for the project, but as a 'sideline' I can imagine there must be a lot of people out there like me who are wanting to leverage at least some of the Win7 touch functionality with existing single touch screens.

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Actualy you have to run two consoles. The driver will not work without them. It looks like the driver installation was ok. Unfortunatly I have no ideas. It should response to regular mouse/touchpad.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Ok thanks very much for taking a look.

I also found this post http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=27507&page=2. It refers to Rafael of WithinWindows potentially having something to make this work. I see there is a connection between Rafael and your project. I eagerly await anything he may post on this, but am wondering if there is some overlap here? Is your driver related to tweaks Rafael has posted/developed to unlock Windows 7 features? I ask because I am afraid that anything he may release may also not work on my machine if it uses the same underlying technique.

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I don't know Rafael's solution. He had signed 64bit driver for this project.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I have a single touch screen too. I installed this software and i can only scroll with my mouse!! I try it on my touchscreen but with no results.

How can I  do not "block the native mouse input"  in the configuration,  and yes "block the touchscreen poninter" ??

Thanks

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM

there some way to hide the red dots???