So many questions

May 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Hi! I'd like to learn a lot more about surface computing. Since, this is a completely new area to me, I feel kind of lost. I've got a few questions at the moment and I hope someone can explain.

1. Is this working with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition?

2. What to download, Binaries or Framework binaries for nonTabletPC?

3. Where to unzip the files?

4. Is multi-touch available on Vista?

5. How comprehensive is Multi-Touch Vista? I assume you can develop extremly advanced applications, or?

6. Is it possible to port these applications to a surface device later on? I mean, if you develop some application with Multi-Touch, is it possible to achieve multi-touch functionality if installed on a surface device.

Thanks a lot!

Coordinator
May 20, 2009 at 7:53 AM

1. Yes, it should.

2. Download the latest changeset. Files in Download area are very old and not supported.

3. Anywhere you want.

4. If you mean multitouch in WPF applications on Vista, then yes. If you mean rotating/scaling windows like notepad and calculator, then it is not supported anymore.

5. Look in tutorial for samples. It is easy. Simple applications can be mady with Xaml, without any line code.

6. You can't run MultiTouchVista applications in Surface shell without changes.

May 21, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Thanx!

May 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I've downloaded the latest changeset, 19490. Then I followed the instructions to open and compile the solutions from the main source folder, starting with Multitouch.InputProviders.sln.

When opening the Multitouch.InputProviders.sln for the first time, I've got some error messages. First, Windows Vista is warning me of the security risk of opening the solution from within this location. Just ignored it and the second error message poped up. It complained about source control and if I would like to keep the links to the source control system. I ignored that as well. The last error message dialog Visual C# 2008 Express Edition is saying: "C:\...\Main Source\InputProviders\TouchLibProvider\TouchLibProvider.vcproj cannot be opened because its project type (.vcproj) is not supported by this version of the application. To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project."

This make sense and I've downloaded touchlib_beta_v2.0, but what am I supposed to do with it. Multitouch.InputProviders needs it, but I haven't got the slightest idea of what to add.

Thank you!

Coordinator
May 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Please try latest release.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Hello,

I've got the same problem with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition. In fact, Visual C# 2008 Express Edition does not allow to mix C++ and C# projects. In fact it does not support C++ projects at all.

You'll need to use Visual Studio to do this.

Laurent

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:39 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2009 at 7:01 PM

of course you can't build C++ project with Visual C# because, obiuvsly, it can build only C# projects. if you don't want to buy VS get Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM

You're right. But the problem is "Multitouch.InputProviders" solution mixes C# and C++ projects and at least a C++ project (TouchlibProvider) references a C# project (Multitouch.Contracts) of this solution.I think it's possible to bypass this problem with Express editions but if you can get Visual Studio, it's quite more confortable ! :D

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM

i think you should try opening the project instead on the solution and compiling each project alone, or maybe you could get VS from http://www.dreamspark.com/ as i did :D