HID driver for Windows 7 64-bit

Coordinator
May 18, 2009 at 8:11 AM

64-bit version of Windows requires that all drivers are digitaly signed. If they not, they are not loaded.
I have compiled a 64-bit version of HID drvier. But it is useless without signature.

Does any one know where to get a driver signing certificate (not every certificate allows driver signing)?

May 26, 2009 at 12:59 AM
Edited May 26, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Hi Nesher,

Have you tried this link? http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/WDK/WDKpkg.mspx

Follow steps under "To join the Windows Driver Kit (WDK and Windows Driver Framework (WDF) connection on Microsoft Connect and download the current WDK"

Detailed instructions about what to do next can be found here: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33920573.

HTH

Regards

Kamil Zadora

Coordinator
May 26, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Hi Kamil,

yes, I have used WDK to compile drivers and sign them with a Test ceritifcate. You can install driver on 64bit if you enable test signed drivers in windows.
But you have to agree, this is not the best way of distributing drivers. What I'm looking is a "right" way of signing drivers.

Daniel

May 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Edited May 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Hi Daniel,

Take a look here, http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/authenticode.mspx  and download Authenticode.doc.

From what I understand, if you sign the drivers with your a certificate signed by Certificate Authority created by you, (with OpenSSL for example):

Quote:

•    If the Authenticode signature is valid for a driver package, but its corresponding Authenticode digital certificate is not in the trusted publisher certificates store, Setup does one of the following, depending on the driver signing option:
•    If Ignore is set, Setup installs the driver package without displaying a user dialog.
•    If Block is set, Setup informs the user that the driver package cannot be installed.
•    If Warn is set, Setup displays a user dialog that informs the user who the publisher of the driver package is, that the driver package is signed with a valid Authenticode signature, but that the driver package is not certified by WHQL. The dialog gives the user the option to cancel the installation of the driver package.

Note, however, that Setup does not display user dialogs for a fully unattended GUI-mode Setup; in this case, Setup installs a device only if the Ignore option is set

I belive this is how PS3 Eye driver done by AlexP intstalls. There is an additonall warning dialog (tested on Win 7 x64 RC with default settings).

Off course the most right way would be to sign the drivers with a certificate from trusted CA, but this is not a cheap certificate to buy.

Please let me know if this helps - I will gladly help and test it on my machine.

Kamil

Coordinator
May 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM

How is this different to test signing?

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Hi,

I tried to install the driver, or the service

it's the same, W7 RC won't this unsigned driver.

Is an evolution, or other solution exist ? or not yet

My best regards,

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM

You have to enable test signature in Win7 - "bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON"

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Hi Nesher,

Thank you for reply

I tried with that command, but nothing different,

as before, driver is installed, but with yellow exclamation on device list.

Can you explain step by step the way to do a correct work?

Sorry if my question look's like a newbe question,

but it's difficult for me, to make a new application,

new intallation method (W7) all of that,  in a non nativ language (I'm French),

the combinaison of all appear blur for me.

My best regards,

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Have you restarted windows afterwards?

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Ahem...
no.

Edit:

I just rebooted, and all is right now
Many thank's.