Windows 7 Driver Install

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Hello!

I came across this project when looking for Windows 7 Multitouch stuff, and it seems pretty neat. However, when I try to install the Driver as shown in the video, after the prompt about installing unsigned drivers, the installation fails.

C:\Users\User\Desktop\multitouchvista-18745\Main Source\Multitouch.Driver\Multit
ouch.Driver>"Install driver.cmd"
Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are installed...
Updating drivers for {61E08B9D-3633-416a-B153-4647FCA67D5B}\HID_DEVICE from C:\U
sers\User\Desktop\multitouchvista-18745\Main Source\Multitouch.Driver\Multitouch
.Driver\UniSoftHid.inf.
devcon failed.

In Device Manager, under Human Interface Devices, instead of the "Universal Software HID Device" show in the video, I see a device labelled as "Unknown Device", with status that no drivers have been installed.

Do you guys have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks a lot!
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Could you send me some log files?
First remove "unknown device" from device manager, make sure to check "remove driver files" if it is available.
Now go to Windows\Inf directory, delete old log files (setupapi.app.log and setupapi.dev.log). Then reinstall the driver and send me thoes log files.
Mar 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM
I took a look through those log files before sending them off, in case the problem was caused by something silly & easy to fix. (I would have done this before, but I didn't know about those logs...) It turns out that there was a complaint about the service name already being in use; something else had crashed the first time I'd tried to install it, and this must have interupted the install at a bad point. I got rid of the other "unisofthid" service, and it installed fine. Thank you for your help.
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:28 AM
I am having the same issue on an XP machine but in W7 I get: devcon failed.

Any help?

Thank you.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 7:48 AM
HID driver is only for Windows 7 Beta. I didn't tested it with leaked builds after official beta release.
Nov 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Hello,

I had this same problem ("devcon failed") and I solved it running the console as administrator. Follow this instructions:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/run-a-command-as-administrator-from-the-windows-vista-run-box/

Regards.