Installing windows 7 multitouch driver

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:14 AM

I think that I got the drivers installed, correctly.  I was getting two red dots and my regular mouse pointer became ineffective.  I am also able to run the demo applications for the Kinect, so that is apparently installed correctly.

How do I get Windows multi-touch to work with the Kinect rather than my mouse? 

I must be missing something.  My directory structure and so on did not match up with what was in the video.  Is there a step by step list?

How do I get it to run as a windows service?

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Here are the instructions as I recreated them from my experience and from the video.  They do not work completely, yet.  Obviously, I am missing something.  Please help me to fix these instructions.  Then, how do I get multitouchVista to use the Kinect stuff?  What do I need to do to turn on the kinect system?  I have used it in the demo mode, so I am confident that it works.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Installing the multitouch drivers to work with Kinect on Windows 7.

Install the kinect drivers from

Download MultiTouchVista - second release - refresh from

Unzip it where you can find it.  C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\MultiTouchVista_-_second_release_-_refresh_2

In the drivers folder there are two folders, one for x32 and one for x64.  Go the folder appropriate for your Windows 7 computer (x64 for 64-bit machines).  Find a file called “Install driver.cmd.”  Open a command shell, Navigate to that folder and run “Install driver.cmd”  from that folder.  The quotation marks are essential because the file name has a space in it.

Go to Windows Device Manager.  You can get to it from the Control Panel.  In the start menu, pick Control Panel, then pick Device Manager.

Pick human interface devices.

Pick Universal Software HID device.  Right click and disable it.  After the warning, the device will be disabled and then enable it.

Close the Device Manager.

In the Windows menu, use the search box to search for Pen and Touch.  Under touch options enable: Show Touch Pointer by clicking the box in the lower third of the window.

Go to the folder holding the unzipped MultiTouchVista files and double click on Multitouch.Service.Console.exe. 

Double click on Multitouch.Driver.Console.exe.

Double click on MultiTouch.Configuration.WPF.exe.  Click on configure device.  Check the box.  If you check it, though, your regular mouse pointer will stop working.  I could not click with the red dot pointers that were controlled by my two mice (touch pad on laptop and wired mouse).  Unlike the video, I did not have a touchlib provider or  VisionSystem entry on the Multitouch.Configuration.WPF page, only MultipleMice and Tuio.  Am I missing something?

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:01 AM

There is no input provider for Kinect "out of the box". But you can try this with TUIO input provider. I didn't tryed it myself.