Install Win7 on MS Surface PC

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM
hello everybody maybe someone can help me out... I'm confused, because i try to install windows 7 professional on ms surface pc. i complete the setup of windows 7 and have a running installation. if i take a look to the device manager there are two unknow devices, one of them is a PCI Device, i think its the texas instrument's video/imaging controller. so i try to search for a driver and have not found yet. so how u install the windows 7 on the ms surface pc, do u write your one drivers? because this video shos a booting windows 7 on the ms surface pc. are there some hack??? best regards michael
Jun 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Have you installed Surface Runtime?

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:02 AM
Edited Jun 16, 2010 at 8:41 AM

hello nesher (guten morgen)

thx for the quick reply,  no don't have surface runtime installed, because the .exe do not allow to install on win 7 so i have to change something in the .exe with a HEX-Editor or Debug and manipulate.

or maybe u can give me a hint how install it on win7?

cheers michael

grüsse aus der schweiz

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM

hello again

okay i was abel to make everything work on the ms surface, also the surface shell work now on windows 7 prof. but now i try to use multitouch service...

how i get there the surface provder in the multitouch WPF.exe

best regards

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Hey Michael,

the Surface SDK Runtime will install the camera driver. The Surface SDK Runtime is NOT the Surface SDK Workstation Edition which can be found on the internet. This version will only install on a desktop pc, not on the surface unit itself. I hope, you made a backup of your original Vista partition or installed Win7 on a separate partition, because you might need the Vista partition to get the Runtime Installation file.

1. You need to get the SurfaceSDK.exe which came with your Surface Unit, it's located somewhere on the Vista-Partition, maybe in C:\SurfaceInstaller.
  2. Extract the MSI Installer by running SurfaceSDK.exe /extract <Path> on the command line.
  3. You need to install the Orca Tool to patch the installation file. It is included in the Windows SDK, which was installed with your Visual Studio. Usually located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\Orca.msi
  4. Open the SurfaceSDK.msi with the Orca tool and patch the file, so you can install it on Win7 with Visual Studio 2010 and install it.
  5. The camera hardware will now be recognized.
  6. To install the Surface Apps you will have to compile them. They are located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Surface\v1.0\Samples. Extract the archive file and run InstallSamples.bat to compile them.
  7. Before you can use SurfaceShell and SurfaceInput you will have to calibrate the Surface Unit. Run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Surface\v1.0\CalibrateVS_v1.exe /a to do a full calibration. You will need the calibration board for that and a second monitor to control the camera picture during calibration.

Regards (aus Ulm),

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

To compile the SurfaceInputProvider you first have to install the XNA Framework 3.1. Now compile the MultiTouchVista solutions:

1. Multitouch.Framework.sln: Open Configuration Mananger in VS2010 and uncheck the Multitouch.Framework.WPF.Tests project before building the solution
  2. Multitouch.Driver.sln: Open Configuration Mananger in VS2010 and uncheck the Multitouch.Driver.Tests project before building the solution
  3. Multitouch.Service.sln: Open Configuration Mananger in VS2010 and uncheck the Multitouch.Service.Tests project before building the solution
  4. Multitouch.InputProviders.sln: Switch to "Debug with Surface" configuration before building the solution. Check if the SurfaceInputProvider was compiled into .\Main Source\Output\AddIns\SurfaceProvider
  5. Multitouch.Configuration.sln: Build the solution.

Now go to .\Main Source\Output\ and first run the Multitouch.Service.Console.exe and then the Multitouch.Configuration.WPF.exe to select the SurfaceInputProvider.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Thanks for the post

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM

What I was trying to achieve to Install Windows 8 on my Surface 1.0. I am able to work the touch inputs inside the surface shell. I would like to use the surface as regular touch device (Desktop and immersive mode). I could see surface input under Multitouch.Configuration.WPF.exe. But my touch inputs are not recognized.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Hi Savi,

as I already mentioned via private message, you must have the Microsoft Surface SDK Runtime installed. The SurfaceInputProvider of MultiTouchVista is working as a layer between the Windows 7 touch input and the SDK's SurfaceInput Tool -- i.e.: No Surface SDK, no touch input. Since you mention, that you can interact with the Surface Shell, you seem to have the Runtime installed. But sadly, I don't know if the MultiTouchVista driver is working on a Windows 8 system. I just tested it on a Windows 7 system. Maybe, the MultiTouchVista driver is creating Windows 7 compatible touch events, which are not recognized by the Windows 8 system.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Hi HeBu,

I am in the process of getting the touch inputs working with Windows 8; however, I am unable to retrieve Surface SDK from the Vista Partition as it no longer exists. Is there a place to download this file or do I need to contact Microsoft to help me reestablish my Vista partition? The hidden recovery was removed as well prior taking over this project.

Thank you,

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Hi Drew,

there is no download of the Surface Runtime Installer. But you might want to contact the Surface Business Desk (sbizdesk):

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for getting back to me! I am running a recovery right now to extract the SDK from the deleted partition. Hopefully all will go well with that; otherwise, I will be contacting them.

Thanks again!

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I keep reading that you guys have achieved the ability to run the Surface Shell under Windows 7 and (I'm assuming) Windows 8 (Dev preview).  I have tried and failed at this in both windows 7 and windows 8 (Release Preview).  How do you accomplish this in Windows 7?  I have tried installing the ATI drivers (thinking this was the issue) and I have tried using all combinations of compatibility mode with not success. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Thanks for posting up these notes. 

I have been able to get the surface SDK to run as expected atop windows 7 but I am stuck at getting the MultiTouchVista solutions to do anything. 

I can bring them up in vs2010 and make the changes as noted and compile them just fine. But I cannot confirm any multitouch events are getting caught by them. 

Anyone have any ideas on what may be getting in the way etc?

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I am New to all of this.

I have bought Surface Table V1, without any resources, and I followed all your article, but I am stuck in running the MTV on Windows 7 on Surface Table.

The problem I think is due to i can't switch the Input provider to Surface Input Provider as i can't see it on the console.

I have tried to compile it on my own as instructed, but i failed as I am not programmer.

Could any one help by uploading the compiled MTV with All AddIns including the SurfaceInputProvider.
Jan 8, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Edited Jan 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I had a hdd crash on Surfave Table v1 and cannot get the surface runtime sdk. Microsoft does not answer for me. :( Could anyone send the Surface Table V1 Runtime SDK to me?